Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bring in the Sunshine and some more glitter playdough!

These are supposed to be rainbow cupcakes. Not how I envisioned, but I still like them. I made these for my daughter's Everybody's Birthday Party at her preschool. It is namely to celebrate all the kids who have summer birthdays. It has been so yucky and rainy here I thought I'd cheer everybody up with some rainbows and sunshine.
To make your own colorfully frosted cupcakes simply make your frosting (the recipe I used to follow) and divide into separate bowls and color different colors. To get bold colors use the paste food colorings.
Now take your pastry bag (I like to stand mine in a tall glass when filling it) and glob the different colors in your bag and then pipe onto your cupcakes. You'll find that your cupcakes won't likely get all the colors on each one. These cupcakes would be great tie dye cupcakes and a smiley toothpick for a 60's themed party (how to do custom toothpicks at bottom of post).

Now just a little warning for those of you have 2 year olds who are effective with a stool...
and tempting chocolate cupcakes cooling on the counter....
don't leave them too close to the edge! Notice my little stinker didn't eat just one, but dug her little fingers into 3 before she was caught!

Here's the recipe I used to generously frost 24 cupcakes:

Almond Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks of butter, softened

6 C powdered sugar

4 tbsp milk

2 tsp almond extract (or substitute vanilla for vanilla flavored)

Also to make sunshine toothpicks I used clipart online (Microsoft) and copy and pasted to a document the amount I needed and printed on cardstock. Then I used a 1" hole punch to punch them out and then used double sided tape to attach them to both sides of a toothpick.

And lastly, glitter playdough can be for boys too.I made up some glitter playdough for the kids in Kalla's class and made the pink for the girls and blue for the boys. :)

2 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

They're GORGEOUS! I love the rainbow frosting idea...I'll be linking.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the rainbow icing!! I was searching for glitter playdough....which I also love!
Sara xxx UK.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails